Sunday, July 06, 2003

Gentoo - the start

Gentoo is a linux distribution that can be "automatically optimised and customised for just about any application or need. This blog contains information on my experiences upgrading my installation of Gentoo to 1.4, after not doing much emerging for 9 months. Much of this points to documentation the gentoo website so that I can find the information at a later date.

The place to start is with the Gentoo Linux Installation Instructions. After running emerge, the command find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*' is very useful for finding configuration files that need to be updated as the result of running emerge. For updating files I:

make.conf controls the way emerge builds software, so here are a couple of my key settings:

Note that Gentoo Linux USE flags editor (ufed) can be used to set the use variable.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?